I have a 4.5 yo boy why has recently started school (prep). He seems to be always tired, even when on summer holidays last month. He is often yawning, becomes visibly tired after just a few minutes of running around and generally has to be woken up in the morning for school.
- He is on iron and vitimin D suppliments as he was found lacking in a blood test a month ago. He gets plently of sunlight but it is now summer in Melbourne so usually wears sub block.
- He had his adenoids and tonsils removed 6 months ago when they were found to be causing sleep apnea.
- He generally is in bed by 8:00PM and up at 7:15AM.
- We go to the park every day for play and swim at least twice a week
- He eats well
- He is alergic to peanuts but clear for everything else
Any thoughts? I have heard that gluten intolerance can cause issues but know no more about it.
Follow-up: We believe we tracked down a major cause of his tiredness to one of the medications that he was on. He was prescribed Nasonex for a few months. When we ran out, he seemed to have more energy. It turns out that one of the (rare) side effects of this medication is tiredness. A while later, we tried another steriod and it had a similar effect.