... Other than chocolate cake and ham sandwiches of course!
I'm seeking help with what seems like a 3 year problem. I have a 6 year old who other than breakfast cereal, ham sandwiches, and chocolate will absolutely refuse to eat anything. Even foods that he has eaten happily in the past like pizza or pasta he will just not eat it randomly until now where he's extremely picky and stubborn. His younger sibling (3 years old) usually eats everything, but has began to copy his older brother sometimes - something that really is a shame!
Things we have tried (and been consistent with over the last 3 years)
- dessert only after meal finished.
- we always sit and eat together for breakfast and dinner
- no snacks between meals (this one is only over the last 2 months because it has got so bad)
- "it's ok if you only eat half of your meal"
- appropriate portion sizes
- when he insists he's full without eating anything, he then asks for cake or cereal - we don't give in to this.
- prepare meals with him (only dinner every weekend at the moment - we may have to go to weeknights too). Will enjoy cooking but won't eat any of it.
- we give him a choice of food to eat that night and even after choosing i.e "I want pizza" he will then just push it away.
We really don't know what else to do. He will go days without eating if we let him and say he's hungry, but again won't eat anything other than sandwiches. Our Health Visitor just recommends giving in and giving him sandwiches if he goes 24 hours without eating which is what we do, but I just feel we are re-enforcing good result eating habits.
He will randomly decide he likes a certain food and we will sort of latch on to that and make it twice a week and then randomly decides he won't eat it ever again. So over the last 3 years he has tried (and liked!) quite a lot, but he's just so stubborn.
Does anyone have any advice?