My firstborn will leave home soon and is off to study at a university a few hours away from home. Being a first, this is quite a new situation for me. What we (mostly she herself) have done so far is:
- Enlist at the university.
- Find a place in a shared apartment.
- Inform the Familienkasse (Family Benefits Office) so the Kindergeld (Child Benefit payment) keeps flowing.
- Inform our Gesetzliche Krankenkasse (National Health Insurance).
- She should be covered by our Haftpflichtversicherung (Liability Insurance) due to being less than 25 years and it being the first course of studies, although I have to give the small print a good read-through again, regarding this.
What else do we need to do along these lines (related to laws, insurances, money etc.) or risk dire consequences otherwise? She doesn't drive a car. Anything else we should know/do? Anything that's optional, but would be really bad to miss for some reason? Or would be really good to do now instead of later?
I'm mostly interested in stuff that involves the parents in some fashion or is really non-optional - I trust that she'll handle everything related to the university on her own.