There are many lists of what's "needed" because everyone has their own idea of what they needed and have decided to share their list. As a parent you need to identify the needs from the wants. What you need is related to keeping your child alive and loved. What you want is focused on luxuries like higher quality products and services.
While there is nothing wrong with luxuries, you risk wasting a lot of money preparing with the right motion sensitive high frequency vibration guaranteed sleep rocker contraption when you realize your child hates it.
Keep it simple and increase what you use incrementally as you learn your child and yourself.
- How does mom want to give birth? Build a birth plan.
- How will you transport your child? Get a car seat.
- What doctor are you going to take your child to?
- Make sure to register your child under your insurance (if applicable).
- How are you going to feed your child?
- Determine where your baby will sleep and bedding situation
- Get clothes and diapers for your baby
- Child-proof your living space
Your wants will change, but your child will always need to eat, sleep and be safe.