I would like to know what games to play with a child just under one year. I have no idea. Where can I get some ideas from. I would like my child to learn something. I have searched on YouTube but couldn't come across anything useful.
You can look into "baby sensory play" to get some ideas of educational (mostly messy and/or elaborate to prepare) activities for toddlers, but I have always preferred the simple classics.
Songs and fingerplays:
- Itsy Bitsy Spider
- Wheels on the Bus Old
- McDonald (Extra fun if you have stuffed animals to hold up as you sing about each)
- Bunny Foofoo
- Counting and alphabet songs
Teach them something:
- My little one LOVED learning sign language at that age. I found
videos on youtube to help
- Look at books with pictures of animals, vehicle, household objects, etc and name all the items
- Learn science by investigating the properties of safe objects and substances like ice, shaving cream, piece of fake fur, the spices in the cupboard, etc. Just be careful of eating/choking if your baby still puts things in their mouth.
- Teaching your child to 'help' around the house, like wipe a plate, sweep with a small broom, put socks in the dryer, pick up toys, etc
is very good for their confidence and development. (This might not
really work until 12-14 months old for some babies)
- Shell game (hide a small toy under one of 2-3 inverted unbreakable cups and encourage your child to pick up the one the toy is under.
Work up to sliding the cups around, changing the order, and have your child find the toy.)
- Roll a ball or toy car back and forth
- Silly hats: what can you find around the house that fits on your heads? Bonus for adding silly faces.
- Tag and chase games teach reciprocity/taking turns
- Water or sand play with lots of scoops, cups, sieves, etc.
- Walk outside and name items you see.
- Blow bubbles and encourage your child to catch them for hand/eye coordination development.
Don't forget the importance of 'big body play'-- Running, climbing, swinging, etc are so good for developing brain. One game for this kind of play is doing an 'animal dance'-- hop like a bunny, wiggle like a snake, shake like a dog, stomp like an elephant, etc. You can also blow up a balloon and chase it around, or a big soft playground ball.