My 3.5 months old baby suddenly cries very hard. A little bit of background:
- The baby is currently 3.5 months old
- Her fussy hour started at 1 month and tapered down when 2 months old
- In the past fussy hour, she would cry but can be easily be comforted by holding her or feeding her
- At 1.5 months she had a routine where she would normally bath at 9:30, follow by a feed. She slept at around 11 PM.
- She slept till 5 AM at 2 months and 8 AM shortly after that.
- We never used any sleep training.
- The baby seems to be progressing normally. She coos a lot and just learnt to roll herself one way.
She was behaving so well in the last month but things suddenly change:
- Started a week ago she will cry till her face is red, usually started at 8PM and can last for 1-2 hours.
- It seems that she will just wake up from her evening nap and starts full-blown crying. This is different from her normal crying since she always show some warning sign:
- We tried all the obvious routes - feed, change diaper, hold her quietly, play soft music, dim light, no light etc. The only thing that MAY work is hold her and move the body side way.
- Getting her to bath when she cries doesn't work. She is very tense and makes undressing/dressing a nightmare. She does calm down in water but will resume crying within a few minutes when moving out.
- We also tried moving the bath time early and reduce her day time activity to prevent overtiring, but that doesn't help.
- I thought about her being colic, but it doesn't seems like it. We tried bicycle kicks and doesn't work. Mom is/has been already avoiding all gassy food.
- There is no diet or environmental change.
- After crying for 1-2 hours she will suddenly decide to stop crying and fall to sleep. Then she would wake up shortly after and cry again, but she can be easily calmed down this time. After one or two more feed she would sleep.
- The doctor couldn't find anything wrong.