I am a male childless adult living in England. I rarely interact with children. Last weekend, I observed how a boy (perhaps 8 years old) threw a piece of garbage onto the ground, despite being metres away from a bin. His parents (or at least, an adult couple who appeared to have that role) were just around the corner and did not see what happened, they appeared perhaps 5 seconds later.
In such a situation, should I do anything? Some alternatives I could think of:
- Do nothing, it is none of my business.
- Tell the child to pick up the garbage (clean streets are everybody's business).
- Pick up the garbage myself and throw it away (it is not up to me to reprimand a stranger's child and it is not my immediate problem if he grows up throwing garbage onto the street).
- Pick up the garbage myself, hand it to the parents, saying I believe your child just dropped this on the ground or similar. Might get me some strange looks.
- Tell the parents what just happened.
- Anything else?