I fed my baby the chocolate on the chips ahoy cookie. I didn't feed him the whole cookie, just one piece of the chocolate and cookie. This is the first time. We had a bad night because he kept crying. I am wondering about other effects of choocolate and i felt bad at myself feeding him that. As a first time mom, i don't know what to do so the chocolate is removed in his system? He is turning 1 yr old this weekend
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions from one feeding of chocolate. It may just be a coincidence. Keep monitoring your baby for the possibility that he's becoming ill from something else.
Regarding chocolate, it does have caffeine; not as much as coffee, but if this is the first time your baby was exposed to caffeine, and you gave him the cookie later in the day, it may just be that he was crying because he wasn't sleeping well.
Infants process most foods in the same way as adults. There are no reliable ways to help a baby (or adult) to decrease processing time. The caffeine and other things in chocolate (flavinoids, etc.) are no longer in his system, just as they are no longer in yours from your half of the cookie.
It's ok to give a small amount of chocolate to babies after a year of age (it depends on your attitude towards sweets); wait a couple of weeks and try it during the first part of the day. If he fusses later after eating, best to avoid it until you can speak to your doctor.