I have an 18-month-old son and some questions about possible autism.
I had a complicated pregnancy: I had premature rupture of membranes and at 36 weeks I went for a check up and needed to have him straight away. He was delivered at 37 weeks weighing 3 pounds 12 ounces, but he didn't need any help (was just on Special Care Baby Unit to keep an eye on him.)
When I had him, they said he had experienced a lack of oxygen, so he would need regular check ups to check for things such as autism.
He is now 18 months and just started walking. He doesn't talk (he says 2-3 words and just screams everything else.)
- uses hand signals when he wants something (drink/food)
- flaps hands when upset, angry or happy
- doesn't make eye contact (if he does it's no longer than 5 seconds)
- focuses on little things when he plays (car wheels, seats, etc.)
- hates other kids and barely wants to play with his older brother
- is sooo loving and cuddly it's amazing
- loves TV
- repeats everything he does (he could be playing with a toy for 3 hours doing the same thing)
- has a set routine for bedtime and nap time and he knows exactly when they are and if he doesn't stick to it he flips
- hates going outside and screams constantly
- hurts himself all the time (he chucks himself off furniture, he bangs his head against doors/walls/everything to the point where his head bleeds)
He does quite a few things that worry me. I have a doctor's appointment but I just want some advice on it until I get to the doctors. I know they won't even acknowledge it because he's still young but my baby's hurting himself and nothing I do will stop him.
He has never said mommy.