There is a good history of obstructed births in my family; something to do with pelvises apparently. My grandmother had problems, my mother wasn't able to have any of us 4 without c-sections after labor (which nearly killed my younger sister) and a 1st cousin recently needed an emergency c-section for the same reason.
I don't know if I'm affected by the same genetic condition, and won't know until the day.
Interestingly I've talked to the midwife about this twice and she doesn't seems to think it's a big deal. I don't even think there's a note in my file.
The pros and cons of c-sections are immaterial here, obviously I would prefer to have the child naturally if possible, but I'm realistic. I'd assumed it would be OK to try naturally, and if things start to go at all difficult to opt for a c-section.
I recently heard that it is less stressful on both mother and baby (with faster recovery time) to just choose a c-section rather than to have an emergency c-section.
My question is:
how do I respectfully handle this with the midwife and the hospital? How do I tactfully make them fully aware that I'm not paranoid, this is a genuine risk?
Am I better just requesting a c-section (though I'd rather not for health and hormones)?
Worst case scenario, at what point on the day would I "pull the pin" and seriously ask for a c-section?
On the other hand should I just have blind faith in my health care professionals? I want to, I absolutely trust in the profession and believe in them -- but the health of my unborn child is paramount to me and I want to do everything I can.
Despite my pregnancy being ideal so far, after listening to the family horror-stories, I honestly believe there's a good chance I'll be end up on the chopping board. Either way I just want what is healthiest for us and to know what my options and rights are, while having utmost respect for the hardworking professionals involved.
For those curious to the outcome: the baby chose. After 29-hours of labor (having we believe both "Passenger" and "Passage" complications). She became distressed and it was a painless decision between me, my team and the professionals involved to have the caesarian as soon as possible. After the necessary epidural anaesthetic it all happened like a machine. Overall it was a stressful day, but it usually is. Note that we chose a major public hospital that performed C-sections. The (purportedly "nicer") insurance preferred choice wasn't able to and we would have required a (likely unpleasant) transfer. Having chosen to be at a place to perform the operation limited our options, but fortunately the public hospital completely exceeded expectations, with freshly renovated maternity ward with all the mod-cons and many (free) days in hospital to ensure everyone was fine. Everyone is thriving in the end.