My 17 month old has been waking up after approximately an hour after he goes to sleep frantically crying. It's been going on for about a month. Sometimes he is sitting up crying and sometimes he is still laying down.
Before this he was a good sleeper. He goes right back to bed. My husband or I just go in and cover him back up and give him his binky (he only uses it to sleep at this point).
- He doesn't need his diaper changed, a bottle, or even comforted more than being tucked back in and told good night.
- He has no problem for his naps.
- He has a small fish tank light on so its not completely dark and he's always had that light so nothing has changed.
- There is a fan running on low for white noise and he's always had that also.
- His room is around 75-78 degrees which is where we always keep it.
- He is teething but he's had 6 teeth come in from 6 mo old until now without these problems.
- There are no other things going on such as someone coming home, neighbors, etc and it happens almost exactly 1 hour after bedtime no matter what time he goes to bed.
He's on a general schedule of waking between 7-8am, napping from about 12-3pm, then bedtime about 7-8pm. He sets his schedule but that's his norm.
It's not hard to put him back to sleep, but I'd like to know what is going on and fix it. I've wondered about nightmares or something else but its too predictable. Any ideas?