3,748 reputation
620
bio website
location Melbourne, Australia
age
visits member for 3 years, 9 months
seen 12 hours ago

a .net/python/javascript polyglot in need of coffee.


Mar
13
comment Is there any harm to letting an infant's hair grow long?
We also did not cut our son's hair until 3ish. We're not Jewish, my wife just didn't want to cut it. Now he has a boy's haircut, boring but easier to keep clean and bug free.
Feb
22
answered How to decide between two childcare institutions?
Feb
15
comment What are some effective strategies that I can take to get my first grade child in the highest quality teacher's classroom?
@afrazier - Yep, but I spoke to one of the teachers and that is what she told me. Could be because they do not know how many classes per year they'll need (many kids enter the private system in grade 5).
Feb
15
answered What are some effective strategies that I can take to get my first grade child in the highest quality teacher's classroom?
Feb
3
answered Should we use special detergent/washing powder for the laundry of baby clothes? (UK)
Jan
26
awarded  Nice Answer
Jan
23
comment Should we put our baby in a helmet to mold her head?
A friend of ours has a daughter with a noticeable flat spot on the back of her head. Even with longish hair, it can be seen. If you have a simply fix, then I think it's worth fixing.
Jan
23
answered What are some good games, books (or any suggestions) to teach my 10 year old more patience and persistence?
Jan
17
comment How do you investigate what's going on in the pre-kindergarten classroom?
Both me and my wife would do occasional stints helping out at kindergarten. Our daughter loved it and we got a better idea of what they are doing. I'm not sure what the situation is in your country, but in Australia the extra help was welcomed.
Jan
2
comment Email and social media for pre-teens
@Konerak - It would be a very trusting person who does not monitor a 9 year old after giving them unfettered access to the internet and exposure via email and a blog. Would a 9 year old understand cyber-bullying, scams, spam about "russian wives", "internet friends" trying to get personal details from them, email viruses, etc?
Dec
29
comment Should I stop teaching my toddler a second language if his exposure to it will be limited?
@Lennart - I am not a native speaker of the second language, only my wife is. We speak 90% in English at home, the remaining 10% was enough to teach our children a second language.
Dec
28
comment Email and social media for pre-teens
@DAO1 - Start a conversation broaching the subject without saying "we say in your log..." If the subject matter was severe (abortion or STD clinics, for example) I think we would have to be up front about it. That conversation is never going to be easy. If she was looking up porn, it might be a sign that we need to have a sex ed chat so she knows not everyone is a porn star. If she if looking up "my little pony" then we'd just have to throw her out of the house.
Dec
28
answered Email and social media for pre-teens
Dec
27
answered Should I stop teaching my toddler a second language if his exposure to it will be limited?
Dec
21
comment I don't like my child's teacher's teaching style
@morah hochman - I tell my daughter the value (IMHO) of the homework given. Sometimes, the homework is of great value and I'll add more to it. Sometimes, it is partial useful and will tell her which bits I do not agree with. Often, I'll create my own assignments to help her with her weaker subjects. Teachers come and go, but you are responsible for your child's education for the next 15 years.
Dec
20
answered I don't like my child's teacher's teaching style
Dec
17
answered How do I figure out why my child no longer likes preschool?
Dec
17
accepted How to improve my 9yo child's short term memory
Dec
17
comment How to improve my 9yo child's short term memory
All good answers but I reckon this set will work best with my lass.
Dec
16
comment How to improve my 9yo child's short term memory
Attention is likely an issue. She has great recall of facts. Random numbers (test: A 7 Z 4 P 2, repeat the numbers) is rather arbitrary and difficult even for me.