Take the 2-minute tour ×
Parenting Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for parents, grandparents, nannies and others with a parenting role. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The collar and cuff of my daughter's Baby Bjorn bib have become quite mouldy. Probably because we didn't wash them soon enough, or put them in a bag whilst still damp when we were out of the house.

Baby Bjorn bib collar and cuff

There are plenty of products which can kill/remove mould or mildew, but I think they're pretty harsh and poisonous and she's likely to chew these or eat food off them. I don't really want to put these items on a really hot wash (over 40 deg C), as it might ruin them.

Does anyone have any ideas for cleaning this mould off in a way that is safe for a baby/toddler?

share|improve this question
    
I believe sunlight (UV) should help kill mould, but I don't have enough experience to state that as an answer. –  200_success Sep 9 '13 at 22:37

2 Answers 2

Soak in a mix of vinegar and water. This will kill the mould, and it is relatively safe. Then wash.

Bleach would be no good. Apart from being more harmful if any stays in the clothes, it only whitens the mould, rather than killing it.

[This is based on information I read online for removing mould from walls.]

share|improve this answer
    
Bleach or detergent on a plastic surface should be good enough to remove mould. It's not really the same as for walls where the texture will be more absorbent. –  haylem Sep 17 '13 at 23:17
    
In this case it appears that vinegar and water does not work, even with some scrubbing. –  James Bradbury Nov 13 '13 at 13:36

Living in Asia this is something I often have to deal with. What I find always works for me is to either:

  • Soak the clothes in hot (close to boiling) water for 30 minute, then wash, or
  • Wash on hot (as hot as possible)

I have always been able to get every trace of it out of my child's clothes, including all of the smell. Because of the climate (and other issues) in this part of the world, I often have to repeat this process once every year or two.

share|improve this answer
    
As stated, I don't want to put them on a really hot wash as it will damage the (plasticky) clothing. The elastic in one cuff has already gone loose due, I think, to being left on a hot radiator. –  James Bradbury Nov 13 '13 at 13:38

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.