How should you respond when a child repeatedly does good things in the wrong way? For example:
- Interrupting someone else's conversation to give a compliment.
- Saying "I love you" to distract from something he's done wrong.
- "Helpfully" informing a parent of something parents would want to know, after the parent has seen for himself.
- Copying another child's nice greeting or gesture in order to steal the attention.
- Making very demanding requests in a polite way.
- Being excited and seeking praise for things that are easy for him, but hard for his sisters (like going on the potty).
If this was only occasional, it would be easy to handle, but it feels like almost all my six year-old's positive behavior lately is occurring in these kinds of contexts. I am at a loss for how to handle it without knocking down every positive thing he tries to do.