Parenting Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for parents, grandparents, nannies and others with a parenting role. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am a pregnant woman: if my baby is proven mentally retarded, what's the procedure I should take to give my baby away to the state foster care? Do I have to pay the state child support if I give my baby away?

We have mental retardation genes in my family. I am not kidding. I understand I will never be capable of raising a mentally retarded baby myself.

I live in New Jersey.

share|improve this question
If you don't feel prepared to care for your child whatever their needs or situation, you may want to consider adoption as soon as the baby is born -- many special needs conditions are not apparent for a number of months/years after birth, and the process of giving up parental rights gets more complicated the older the child is. For specific advice on the New Jersey foster system, you REALLY should consult a lawyer, not the Internet. – Erica May 5 '13 at 20:57

New Jersey has a Safe Haven Law (as do most states), which allows you to give your baby anonymously to any hospital emergency room or police station within 30 days of birth. You do not even have to take the baby yourself, you can ask a friend, member of the clergy, practically anyone. The baby will be placed in foster or pre-adoptive care. Adoption proceedings will usually begin about three weeks later.

There is information about the Safe Haven Law here (how it works).

You can call them at 1-877-839-2339 to get your questions answered.

Good luck to you!

share|improve this answer

I wouldn't rush into anything based on your fear. Parents are almost hardcoded to love their children, so you may feel differently after the birth. If you don't change your feelings maybe someone in your family would be prepared to look after the baby, e.g. grand parents.

Would the baby's father be interested in looking after it ?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.