Parenting Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for parents, grandparents, nannies and others with a parenting role. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Discharge is soon and we're looking a few odds and ends for our little one, but I'm at a loss for vocabulary and I'm not finding what I need with google and amazon searches. Every time I search, I get the usual branded/store-branded wet wipes which is not what I want.

I'm looking for the word(s) that describes the cotton, disposable cloths that NICUs/Nurseries use. I feel like they are 4x4 6x6, but they are folded twice (so I guess they are 8x8 12x12 when unfolded). We use them to wipe the bottom and wet them as necessary. There's no lotion, no scents, etc. We would like to use these at home too (we figure the less we change, the better the transition). I've seen the packs the nurses bring out and they aren't labeled--I guess those come from a medical supplier?

Are those commercially available? What are they called?

share|improve this question
I would ask one of the nurses what they are called if you want to be certain. – Jessica Brown Dec 8 '11 at 18:54
What you might be looking for is nappy liners – Benjol Dec 9 '11 at 7:41
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Dry Washcloths

And I remember that the nurses refer to them as washcloths--I didn't think that's what they were actually called, so I never bothered to search on that word. But my wife did and found them on Amazon (Quickables Dry Washcloths).

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Yes! I've seen and used these at the neonatal ward too! – Torben Gundtofte-Bruun Dec 5 '11 at 14:25
Just received these today, they are not as soft as the ones in the NICU. – Jay Dec 8 '11 at 0:29

Muslins. And yes, they are commercially available, couple of examples at that link address.

share|improve this answer

I'm not sure Muslins are what the OP is looking for. I don't consider those disposable -- at least not the ones I've seen.

I found this in our bathroom a while back, and was surprised to find that they are what appear to be dry wipes:

They are unscented and hypo-allergenic. The box I have has Aloe, but I have to imagine you can get them without, if you're inclined to.

They unfold to 20cm x 16.5cm, so not exactly what you're asking for, but as far as I can tell, functionally equivalent.

I couldn't find them on Amazon, but I was able to find them on Walmart's website, here.

share|improve this answer
I believe in hospitals, muslins are dumped into a disposal to be sterilised, for obvious reasons. At home, it's safe enough to wash them. Cheaper, too. – deworde Dec 5 '11 at 9:22
The wipes I'm describing are tossed into the trash--never reused. – Jay Dec 5 '11 at 12:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.