My little girl had some hard times from 0 to 3 months. After 3 months and few days, it disappeared.
There weren't much we could do to really stop it. We did some things to help, but somedays she would cry for one whole hour. The things that worked best were:
- a warmed-up towel, etc, over her stomach
- doing some massage by stretching her legs, then pulling it back over her stomach (slowly, of course)
- giving her a little bit more breastmilk (more times each day, smaller quantities each time)
- giving her a warm hug and walking, slowly, across the house, while speaking very low and very near her head, with a more grave voice
- give her some Simethicone - Mylicon or similar - drops, after authorized by our doctor.
And, specially, keeping calm. Hear her crying kind of urged us to do something, but as time passed by we learnt that it was something natural to her, so all we could do was comfort her. And wait for the magical 3 months, more or less.