Take the 2-minute tour ×
Parenting Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for parents, grandparents, nannies and others with a parenting role. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My son is 5 years old.

Over the last few months I have been observing some disturbing sexual behavior from my child.

He is rubbing his penis on the bed or pillow. Sometimes he would get naked and rub very tightly and make some sounds of pleasure! Previously, I thought he was playing... but later I understood.

His father doesn't want me to scold him, but one day I was really surprised and shocked by one incident... when I was in deep sleep in the afternoon, I suddenly woke up and saw he had pulled up my skirt and trying to mount me! I was really shocked! I'm really upset. What should I do?

share|improve this question
I dont think so he has been molested coz I always keep him in my close observation. He sleeps with us in a same room but he has his separate bed. One more thing, he always tries to see me naked or my private parts secretly.What should I do in his age? –  simran Dec 12 '13 at 20:57
add comment

1 Answer

While each child is unique, there are some commonly observed sexual behaviors typical for a 5 year old child (so called Normative Behavior) and some behavior that is of a concern (Symptomatic Behavior). The following wikipedia article describes some of these behaviors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_sexuality#Normative_and_non-normative_behaviors

The attempt for a sexual contact that you described seems unusual and of concern.

I suggest that you consider the following:

  • when you have a problem, using appropriate words and context for 5 year old chid, ask your son in a calm way for reasons for his behavior (at the time it happens). Explain to your son that such touching is not appropriate behavior.

  • let your son sleep in his own room. It will give you more privacy and prevents any unintended surprises. Sleeping separately will also teach your son that parents and children need their own privacy.

  • ensure that your son does not have unrestricted / unsupervised access to the Internet (computer, tablet, smart phone)

  • also carefully check that he is not exposed to inappropriate sexual content through his peers, siblings, father or someone else around him (care taker)?

  • communicate with your son on regular basis about anything that bothers him, scares him or wants to share with you

share|improve this answer
Nice answer! Again, I would encourage a therapist and report be filed if any inappropriate sexual activity on the part of an adult or carer in the child's life be discovered. –  balanced mama Dec 14 '13 at 14:29
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.